4/07/2011

Mirleft



After a night in Tiznit's old medina, a shared cab dropped me off on Mirleft's main road, along with a couple Swiss travelers I'd met. The sun was out and a cool sea breeze blew through the whitewashed little town as we wound towards our guesthouse. For the next couple days I took to the beaches of Morocco's rugged southern coast. One cloudy afternoon was spent alone at Legzira, waiting in vain for the sun to reappear but enjoying for several hours the kind of windstorm that had been carving up the red cliffs for thousands of years. A pack of dogs came at me on the long and lonely walk back to the road, making me once again grateful to have invested in a weighty tripod.

The next day was spent surfing at Sidi El Ouafi. Outside my dread-locked Swiss friend and I, our group was a mix of French and Moroccans. Karim, our coach/the guy with the surfboards and wetsuits, had us run sprints up the beach before hitting the waves. Tall but chiseled, Karim had the look and swagger of the guy from the And-1 logo, and therefore everyone enjoyed taking orders from him. Finally exhausted, I crashed in the sand for part of the afternoon, then joined the Swiss man on the rocks for some fishing. A local fisherman had the only success, bounding along the rocks like a little boy and smiling wide enough to tear open his face when he felt the first tug. Chatting the night away with fellow travelers back in Mirleft, I was pretty content myself. The thought of reaching Spain [after the longest cross-country bus trip yet] was nice.


4 comments:

Shery said...

Seriously this place can't be real. These pics tortured me. You're so evil:-).

Kim said...

That is so awesome!!!!! It's beautiful there. I think it's sweet you took some pictures of dogs...maybe your heart misses roxy and gyro:) we miss you!

Kristen Joy Daniels-Wade said...

This is making me so jealous and making me wish that we didn't just quit life to keep traveling with you (at least to the south).

Anthon Jackson said...

Kristen: wouldn't call it "quitting life," but i'm definitely looking forward to our flamingo search, somewhere in the future.
Kim: yes, my heart misses those dogs. but not nearly as much as the salt lake crew of people.
Shereen: sorry but you're probably not going to like it when i post pics from Spain...